Thursday 11 August 2011

Beautiful Poetry

I am not a poetry person but being human and a thinking one at that, one cannot help but be affected by the beautifully presented words in poetry which express sentiments that you have never been able to articulate and therefore appreciate all the more. The nuances of the sentiments poetry generates differs from person to person and sometimes even within yourself as you grow older and experience life the meaning and appreciation of a special line in a poem changes.
(on a lighter vein the same goes for cartoon comics and strips - I learned to appreciate Astrix and Calvin very differently as an adult where the play of words held special significance)

Anyways to get back to poetry I am sharing some beautiful poetry that i saw on my trawling through the net.....  
Enjoy.....

Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.

A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;

A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;

A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;

Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.

Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

It is such a simple and touching poem and the last two lines are so humble and self effacing that it touches your heart.

Another line which i feel like a slam in my heart is

I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
From Out Of The Night That Covers Me by William Ernest Henley

The peom that never fails to depress me with its futility is the Charge of the Light Brigade.

Anyways this is all for now....

If you want to enjoy some more on this subject visit http://www.writers-free-reference.com/10poems.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment